The Five Forks Battlefield Unit of Petersburg National Battlefield is where the last major battle of the Siege of Petersburg was fought. The battle, known as the “Waterloo of the Confederacy” was fought on April 1, 1865, when Union soldiers under the command of General Philip Sheridan attacked Confederate troops being commanded by General George Pickett at Five Forks in an attempt to cut off the last supply line coming into Petersburg, the South Side Railroad.
Visiting the Battlefield
The site includes a Visitor Contact Station which opened in 2009. It is open seven days a week from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. with the exception of certain holidays. The Visitor Contact Station includes museum displays and artifacts as well as a 12-minute video. Located outside of the Visitor Contact Station is a picnic pavilion and an eight mile trail system.